Jump to navigation Jump to search
- After Louis-François Cartier, the descendent of a powder horn maker, has become a master jeweler, he takes over the jeweler workshop of his master, Adolphe Picard, at 29, rue Montorgueil in Paris. This establishes the foundations for the development of the most important luxury brand Cartier.
- The French inventor Antoine Redier first patents a mechanical alarm clock with adjustable alarm.
- Charles Antoine LeCoultre introduces the first crown winding system.
- Jean-Célanis Lutz of Geneva invents the process of heat tempering hairsprings.
- Léon Foucault, French physicist, presents a conical pendulum clock to the Academy of Sciences.