Langendorf

From Grail Watch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Langendorf is a small village in the canton of Solothurn in German-speaking Switzerland.

The first watch factory in Langendorf appeared in 1877. C. Kottmann founded the Langendorf ebauche factory, which later began producing entire watches under the name of Langendorf Watch Co. The Kottmann & Cie. company became Kottmann & Meyer in 1879 and simply Fabrique d’horlogerie à Langendorf or Société d’horlogerie à Langendorf, a decade later.

Ernest Kottmann (1874-1944) managed the factory in the first half of the 20th century. He was deeply involved in the watch industry, serving on the Swiss Chamber of Watchmaking.

The Langendorf company later used the Lanco brand, which became well-known in the 20th century.

By 1890 the he watch industry began to be established in Solothurn and its surroundings. One of the most important was Meyer & Stüdeli in Solothurn (founded in 1895) and the many companies in Grenchen.